High Speed Displacement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

High Speed Displacement

Post by sunwupen on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Since I have played space games before I decided to stress test speed in an area that had lots of stuff to render (ships, planets, rings, asteroids). The result was what I expected. At about 10c, which I assume is 10 times Constant, the game had trouble placing where I was. What I mean is that if I activated my seat, it would sit me several meters away from the seat I selected. The ship also seemed to speed up and slow down even though my speedometer was always increasing. I targeted a planet in the solar system to give me an idea of distance in numbers. The distance would fluctuate wildly when I would slow down and it would even appear that I was moving in reverse when I wasn't. That tells me that the speed wasn't keeping up with what I was looking at on my screen. When I came to a complete stop and then started the hyperdrive again everything returned to normal.

This is a common bug for any game that has massive space with high speeds. At a certain speed and distance the game will have trouble deciding where you are spatially. It could be different results on different PC setups too so the problem is tough to fix universally. My PC isn't the strongest on the market, but it is several times stronger than a standard pre-built. GTX 760 gpu, 6 core 3.5 processor, 8 gigs ram. I'm not a coder and I don't really know how to make games so this problem could be caused by something completely different, but my experience in Space Engineers, No Man's Sky, and even Minecraft has shown me that when you move too far too fast the game doesn't know where to put you. There may not be a solution for this other than set a lower maximum speed, which is what Space Engineers has done. But I don't like that solution because picking the right maximum speed will prove to be a challenge since everyone is going to be playing on a different rig.

sunwupen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: High Speed Displacement

Post by tsunamayo on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:41 am

Hello, did you used the latest build from the 29 ? If not which build did you used ? I suspect it was the one from 25, this was not an official build, I just shared it for some people to do multiplayer, next time I will hide it Razz
10c is ten time the speed of light.

tsunamayo
Admin

View user profile http://skywanderers.forumjap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sunwupen on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 am

Yes, I believe I was running the latest build from the 29th. It didn't happen every time I used hyperspace speed, only after warping to a new system. It did correct itself once I came to a full stop.

sunwupen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tsunamayo on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 pm

oh ok, so the test case is warp, then hyperspeed, then jitter ?

tsunamayo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Remitorm Darkwind on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Wait the multiplayer function works???
Remitorm Darkwind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tsunamayo on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:03 pm

yeah we can build a bit one day if you want, ping me on discord, there is still a lot of bugs or thing not yet done but I do a lot of building sessions with people these days.

tsunamayo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Remitorm Darkwind on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Sounds like fun whats your discord?
Remitorm Darkwind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sunwupen on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:55 am

Sorry for not replying for so long, I've been really busy the past week.  Yes, the reproduction would be warp, after warp, increase speed to max, then the jitter and displacement starts.  I haven't tested it in this most recent build yet but... Soon TM

sunwupen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top